The University of Puget Sound Intramural Sports Program provides an opportunity for UPS students, faculty, and staff to participate in a wide variety of sports competition and physical activities. The program is designed to meet the needs and abilities of all participants in order to facilitate a total educational experience.
Questions may be directed to the IM office located in room 106 of the Memorial Fieldhouse or by calling 253.879.3459.
Opportunities abound for the entire University community in a wide variety of sports activities provided by the Intramural Sports program, part of the Department of Physical Education, Athletics and Recreation.
What Can I Play?
The intramural program offers men's, women's and coed activities in individual and team sports. Students may compete in 14 different activities, with additional sports available based on student interest. The program is designed to serve all skill and experience levels. It gives students the chance to play a favorite sport or one they have always wanted to try but never had the opportunity. Some of the sports offered include:
- Flag Football
- Volleyball (Court and Beach)
- Soccer ( Indoor and Outdoor )
- 9' Hoops
In addition, special tournaments or competitions are held in sports such as pickleball, 3-point basketball and ultimate frisbee.
Above all the Puget Sound Intramural Program offers participants an enjoyable and fun experience. When the "Water Buffaloes" battle for the indoor soccer title or "The Kumquats" take to the court to determine a basketball champion, excitement and memorable experiences follow. Winning teams receive Intramural Championship Awards provided by the University.
How Do I Get Started?
Students become involved in the intramural program by representing a living group or organization on campus, or by contacting the intramural department to be placed on a team. Almost every living group and organization on campus is represented in some type of intramural activity. An informational meeting is held annually during the first week of school. Intramurals are truly for everyone and another way to participate in the University of Puget Sound experience.
The Puget Sound Intramural Program has seven principal objectives:
- To provide an opportunity for leisure-time participation in organized sports and recreational activities.
- To allow for social interaction.
- To encourage the development of a permanent interest in sports and recreational activities.
- To foster a feeling of belonging to a group by providing the opportunity to work together in a recreational situation.
- To develop a healthy body along with an alert mind.
- To provide a healthy outlet for emotional and mental stress.
- To develop good sportsmanship towards officials and opponents.
Racquetball/Tennis Court Reservations