Men’s soccer ends season in second round defeat

Men’s soccer ends season in second round defeat

SAN ANTONIO, Texas—The Puget Sound men's soccer team saw its season end Sunday, falling 4-0 to Trinity in the second round of the NCAA tournament. The Loggers had defended well in the first half, keeping the No. 7 Tigers scoreless for the first 44 minutes, but ceded the eventual game-winner just seconds before halftime in San Antonio, Texas.

Trinity controlled possession for much of the opening period, taking the first thirteen shots of the match. The Tigers' first shot came in the 6th minute when Victor Araujo put an attempt on frame, but Logger keeper Nathan King stopped it from becoming a goal.

From the 10th to the 17th minutes, the Tigers attempted five more shots, three of them getting blocked by Puget Sound defenders and two going wide of the Logger net. King made his second save of the match in the 29th minute, stepping in front of an attempt by Yuri Ribeiro.

The Loggers tallied their first shot of the match in the 37th minute when Stewart Miller sent a shot high above the Trinity goal. They tallied another shot four minutes later when Ryan Rash fired an attempt wide. That, however, would the last shot of the half for the Loggers.

Puget Sound close to escaping the first half level, but Trinity broke through with just 14 seconds left in the period. Zach Brock finished off a free kick from Jeff Hayes for the opening goal, putting the Loggers behind 1-0 going into the break.

After halftime, the Loggers put up their third shot of the match in the 48th minute when Sean Ryan saw a shot blocked by the defense. Eight minutes later, the Loggers had two straight consecutive corner kicks, but could not get an attack off either.

In the 63rd minute, Trinity struck again when Hayes headed in a free kick, this time from Yuri Ribeiro. The Tigers scored off yet another set piece two minutes later with Simon Uribe netting another freebie from Ribeiro.

Down 3-0, the Loggers earned their first shot on goal in the 70th minute when Carson Swope fired a corner from Eneko Bereziartua on frame. Trinity keeper Matt Cardone made the save, however, keeping the Loggers scoreless.

Trinity added a fourth in the 78th minute, this time from the run of play. Callum Squires finished off a play involving Murray Fraser and Todd Edwards for the score.

The Loggers managed three additional shots in the final five minutes with both Alec MacCallum and Luke Sandblom shooting wide and Theisen Chang getting blocked. They also managed a corner in the final 30 seconds but couldn't get a shot off in the dying moments.

The Loggers were outshot 24-8 by Trinity, but tallied eight corners as opposed to three from the Tigers. Ribeiro led all players with five shots while all eight of the Loggers' attempts came from different players. King made six saves, the second-most of the season for him, while Cardone made just the one.

Puget Sound wrapped up its season with a 15-6 record, going 12-2 in conference play. They won their first Northwest Conference title in seven years and earned their first NCAA tournament victory in 11 years with a 1-0 overtime over Hardin-Simmons in yesterday's first-round matchup. The Loggers graduate 11 players but return a strong core that will look to defend their conference championship next season.