Loggers Force OT At St. Martin's But Fall 60-56

Loggers Force OT At St. Martin's But Fall 60-56

LACEY, Wash. – A defensive tussle needed an extra period but the Puget Sound women's basketball team eventually fell 60-56 in overtime at NCAA Division II St. Martin's. Senior Kelsey McKinnis scored 17 points to lead the Loggers (7-4).

Both teams came into the game defensive-minded with both teams struggling to shoot the ball. The Loggers forced 22 turnovers from the host Saints (7-5) and held the Saints to just 31.7 percent shooting on the night. However, the Loggers shot just 32.4 percent from the floor, including a 15.8 percent clip from three-point range.

The Saints jumped out to an early lead, which grew to as much as 14-5 on Angela Gelhar's layup just over six minutes into the contest. The Loggers held their ground as the lead never grew into double digits.

An 11-0 Logger run late in the half gave the Loggers their first lead of the night on a jumper from sophomore Erin Stumbaugh. The latter part of the run saw the Logger lead grow to 28-24 but the Saints would answer back. Jori Skorpik's three-pointer capped a 5-0 Saints run that gave the hosts a 29-28 lead at halftime.

The Saints seized the momentum to rebuild their lead to eight points with 13 minutes to go in regulation. However, a jumper and pair of free throws from Stumbaugh sparked an 8-1 Logger run. Forshay's layup with 9:33 to go capped the run and cut the deficit to 43-42.

Both teams would go cold over the next several minutes as neither team scored for nearly four minutes nor hit a shot attempt for over six-and-a-half minutes. Three free throws from the Saints ended the scoring drought. McKinnis finally put in a layup for the Loggers with 3:10 left to shrink the lead back to one and end the shooting drought.

Meanwhile, the Loggers had the Saints locked down on the defensive end as the held the hosts without a field goal for the final 13:06 of the second half. With 2:13 left, McKinnis drained a pair of free throws to give the Loggers their first lead of the second half at 47-46.

Luckily for the Saints, they were able to convert seven free throws during their drought to stay in the game an eventually force overtime. After McKinnis' free throws, Mackenzie Taylor drained a pair of free throws to regain the lead for the Saints. However, McKinnis looked to be the hero for the Loggers as she drove to the basket and hit a layup with 11 seconds left to reclaim the Logger lead.

On the Saints last possession, Brooke Paulson drew a foul but only converted 1-of-2 free throws to tie up the game at 49-49 and force overtime.

The Saints found their stroke in overtime, shooting 3-of-6 from the floors and 2-of-3 from behind the three-point arc. Neither team scored until the 2:44 mark when Haskey knocked down a jumper to end the Saints' 15-minute drought. Amanda Forshay responded for the Loggers but the Saints went on a 7-0 to seal the victory.

Forshay ended with 10 points and eight rebounds for the Loggers while McKinnis also pulled down seven rebounds. Stumbaugh had seven points and five assists to go along with two blocks and four steals.

The Loggers wrapped up their non-conference schedule at St. Martin's and will jump into Northwest Conference action when they host crosstown rivals Pacific Lutheran at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 2.